Assessing your surroundings is a key component to health and happiness. We'll help you attain the healthiest space possible for you, your family and/or your clients. We help you with your business, home, cottage, boat by improving your understanding of your space so you can create a healthier space.
Children are more influenced by environmental exposures than adults. See below for contaminants and what we check for. We check them all!
How do assessments help?
- An outsider can detect things that someone familiar with the space may overlook.
- We provide you with the information you need
- Identifying & and removing toxic things from your space can change your life (i.e. an undiagnosed gas leak, improperly installed duct system)
- It will give you a piece of mind knowing that the space is as healthy as you can provide
- Environmental issues can affect concentration, productivity, and long-term health
- Protects the investment you have in your home or business (for most Canadians their home is their largest investment). Compare this investment to repair, renovation, redecorating and healthcare expenses.
- Assessments are economical quality assurance about a space.
Your surrounding matter; create the healthiest space possible
Why choose Environmental Health Consulting?
1) We fully understand the links between environmental exposures and health, having training and many years experience in property restoration/maintenance and public health. We are trained in all aspects of building health, building science and environmental health.
2) We use scientific equipment and experienced observation to test many things. See the details page. You will therefore receive accepted scientific advice and economical solutions.
3) We provide a wholistic approach that looks at many disciplines. This way, you can be assured that all the major things that might influence your health have been assessed. For example, if you call a furnace person about your air quality he will not be looking at basement foundation walls or eaves troughs... See the details below about what's included in our wholistic assessments.
4) Our passionate approach has helped all kinds of people, all kinds of spaces and all kinds of problems. Some examples include:
- mothers and children with terrible asthma have experienced fewer symptoms,
- home offices that have been made more pleasant,
- strange odours have been identified & removed,
- mysteries about water leaks have been solved,
- home theatre system which was making the family sick, was made a peaceful family centre,
- boats, cottages
- small apartments, condos,
- large homes,
- nursing homes,
- childcare centres,
- health clubs, spas,
- naturopathic offices, chiropractic offices,
- B & B's, hotels, and large offices...
5) We don't just give you the information and walk away. After we identify practical priorities we provide 3 telephone or email follow-up appointments to guide you to find the resources you need. Annual, or other periodic, re-assessments are recommended.
Details about Wholistic Assessments
In every wholistic assessment we cover the following topics:
Gas leaks - we test for natural gas and other combustible gases; exposures to combustion gas (natural gas, propane) at low levels are thought to cause health problems including MCS.
Radon - we share information and advise about the best and most effective radon monitoring.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) - we test at very low levels - below what your detector will determine. Health effects from CO start at much lower levels. You cannot smell or see CO.
Possible water leaks - we look at wall systems, building materials, design, construction methods, air flow, humidity, condensation. We test building materials that are likely to have water intrusion.
Indoor air quality parameters are all looked at visually and olfactory (i.e. smell). This includes ventilation, air flow, furnace diagnostics, temperature variances, humidity, formaldehyde off-gassing, filtration, allergens. The ones that may be problematic will be tested including the sampling of allergens, insects, lead, asbestos, pesticides, mould, and other contaminants/VOCs, as required.
Lighting & design will be assessed (natural light, passive solar heating, design for summer cooling, glare, florescent tubes).
All the electrically-created fields (electric, AC magnetic fields, radio frequency or microwave or high frequency fields or “EMF’s”, dirty electricity and stray or net current) will be tested. We determine the source of wireless exposures (cell antenna, neighbours' router, building wiring/distribution, etc.)
Share information about cleaners (see the tip page) and infection control.
Provide practical and common-sense guidance about how to improve space taking in mind the individual needs of each client (housing or space plans, concerns, health status, advice on renovation projects).
Prioritize advice based on the actions that are the most likely to influence health. We help you conduct lead testing, help making cleaners, find gas leaks, advise on renovation projects, chemicals, materials...
We try to be fair taking into account travel, training and huge equipment expenses:
- complete wholistic assessment of your space - price based on a average sized home or business (2000 sq. ft.) with a modest number of electronic "devices" $529
- electrical assessment (magnetic, electric, high frequency or "EMF", stray current and dirty electricity) $295
- indoor air quality assessment (air flow, ventilation, total VOCs, formaldehyde, water testing and filtration advice, mould assessment, moisture testing, gas leak testing, furnace inspection and diagnostics) $295
- if a written report is required we charge an extra $200
- lab fees are extra, if required
- we request that someone be present at all times and able to take notes of findings
- prices are based on the Parry Sound and area; for other locations travel costs to be negotiated
- e-transfer can be made to reserve your appointment / pay for your service in advance
- balances can be paid upon completion by cash, credit card, or cheque
- all payments made payable to Environmental Health Consulting Inc.
An assessment is the first step to ensure the healthiest home for you and your family.